A collection of postcard images documenting the golden age of flowing artesian wells across the United States and the world, generally from the early 1900s and with a bias toward Texas. Also included, from time to time, are other water-related postcards.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

wellhead tour: Marlin, Texas!


I've stopped in at Marlin before, but this time I was able to soak my feet and chat with a lady at the Chamber of Commerce/Visitor Center next door. She confirmed my suspicion that all of the bathhouses and associated hotels have been tore down (sad...) and that there were other wells in town with this one being the only one left.

I was at a water meeting earlier in the day where a fellow described a story from his folks that people used to set out glassware in the water and let it soak for a week or so, turning it over from time to time. I asked the Chamber lady about this, and she confirmed. Turns out they sell shot glasses with wellhead on it, and she soaks a few in the water to stain them with the water. And I got one!

Next time, I need to bring a towel to dry my feet...






No comments:

Post a Comment